Saturday, January 27, 2018

Dani's Posts Part II



  • January 25, 2018
  • dani.batesI’ve had a hard time posting for a while. The longer amount of time that passes, the more real it becomes. It’s really hard. But dozens of friends and family members have told me how much they love my posts and learning more about my amazing mom. And I love sharing sides of her that everyone didn’t get to see. This video is from August. She was the best grandma ever. EVERY SINGLE THING Winnie did was the CUTEST THING EVER in my moms eyes. We talked several times a day on the phone and through texting since I was first pregnant with Winnie. I really don’t think we missed a day. I constantly sent pictures and videos of almost everything Winnie did and my mom couldn’t get enough. Lately, Winnie has been walking around with my phone pretending to talk to “Mummi” every day. My mom would call at least a few times a week just to talk to Winnie. Their phone calls would last for a half hour or so each time and they would just talk back and forth with Winnie babbling nonsense. Winnie’s vocabulary has exploded since my mom passed, and I wish I could hear my mom’s excitement with each new thing Winnie says. It was one of my favorite things. I really miss it. I’m so grateful for my sisters stepping in where they can and making Winnie feel just as loved. Winnie loves calling “Gabi” and “Jess” and they are so cute to talk to her on the phone and pretend they understand her stories. My sisters are my best friends and the two most important women in my life. 






December 27, 2017
  • dani.batesI haven’t been able to post yet because I burst into tears every time I think about it. We were so blessed this Christmas. The ward (church congregation and neighborhood) my parents have been in for 16+ years went above and beyond to make sure we had a the best Christmas we could after losing our mom. My mom blessed the lives of so many in that ward and they are now returning the love she showed by getting us through this rough time. We came home after a Christmas program on Christmas Eve to a room full of presents, individual stockings, a dinner table beautifully set up with framed letters about our mother, an entire (amazing) dinner ready to eat, and even breakfast for Christmas morning. Outside they had lined all of the sidewalks around our house with luminaries. I couldn’t stop crying for (literally) hours. I know it’s just “Stuff,” and it’s not like we need “stuff” to celebrate Christmas. That’s not what it’s about. But people giving out of the goodness of their hearts and taking the time to make sure we were taken care of and showing us that we are so loved is what touched me. They gave my sisters and I the most beautiful necklaces. I am Christian, more specifically Mormon. We believe that because of what Christ did for us, we are able to be with our families forever. These necklaces symbolize eternity because of the circle. I believe that I will be with my mom again. I believe that there is life after this one and that my mom’s spirit is watching and helping to guide us and probably laughing at us too. I believe that families can be together forever and I couldn’t be more grateful to know about God’s plan.


December 23, 2017
  • dani.batesAs we sat around my mom’s hospital bed, almost exactly two weeks ago, my mom gradually passed away peacefully. I remember Gabi saying something like, “I never knew my heart could physically hurt like this.” It’s hard losing your mom this close to Christmas. I want to be joyful and make it a good Christmas, especially for my baby sisters, but it’s difficult not to constantly think about the fact that she’s not here. We have however been incredibly blessed. We found out today that the guy from the mortuary said we had well over 600 people in attendance at the funeral. He said a typical large funeral was about 250. The chapel was packed as were several other rooms in the church building and the hallways. Walking in and seeing how many people loved my mom made me burst into sobs. My mom was truly special and helped countless people. Many have stepped in and given meals and gifts and helped at the house and sent messages and left comments and so many other things... These people who my mom served for years have seen it as a chance to give back to our family and try to make it the best Christmas it can be. It still hurts. It’s weird how it can make you hurt physically. But we have had many earthly angels come our way and show us love. We are so blessed. I am so blessed.






December 20, 2017
  • dani.batesShe’s perfect. My mom, her “Mummi,” is her guardian angel and even Winnie knows that. ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment